Wednesday, January 2, 2008

Resoltion for Big Government - Go on a Diet

by Daniel Short

Just like the rest of America, our government has bloated to proportions beyond anything our founders could have possibly imagined. The fattening up is not just at the federal level either. Local governments scarf up every crumb of taxpayer funds to fuel programs and initiatives that have no business anywhere near an inefficient machine like government bureaucracy. The federal government should not be interfering in markets where unscrupulous lenders target overspending consumers and both sides get what they deserve. Tax money to bail out the big vinyl boxes(as my friend over at the brewery calls them) is in my opinion illegal. Jefferson County Kentucky voters finally got one right by defeating the so called library tax by overwhelming margins. ENOUGH is ENOUGH. Locally we push for downtown renewal by issuing bonds for new buildings - firehouses and Y's - while neglecting the roads in the industrial parks that generate the funding. Sidewalks in New Albany our an ankle sprain just waiting to happen. Incentives to lure business downtown is fabulous, but using tax dollars to finance it is another animal altogether. Let's get back letting government do its job and the free markets doing theirs. Free markets always do things more efficiently and governments always try to maintain control over it. Now I wonder if that twenty sixth environmental study is complete on the east end bridge location? Happy Motoring Hoosiers!

7 comments:

The New Albanian said...

FYI - I don't think I'm the one who coined the "vinyl boxes" phrase.

You have a nice primal scream going here ... so let me get it staright: Taxpayers can fund greenfield expansion into the outer exurbs without a problem, but spending tax dollars downtown is bad.

BTW, I'm still curious as to your assessment of the downtown church vs. exurban church comment I made over at my soap box.

Cheers.

The New Albanian said...

Oops - I meant "straight."

Sorry. Bad resoltion on my monitor.

Daniel Short said...

I gave you credit for it because it is snappy little phrase. Most "greenfield" expansion is paid for by business owners known as developers and builders and the tax revenue that is generated in the greenfields of Indiana keeps small governments closer to the black than the red. I do not know of anyone that attends a church because of its convenient location. I would attend a church downtown if it offered the things I believe are essential to me. Contrary to your perception of me, which I may have fueled by our little back and forth, I adore our downtown and admire the architecture. I simply choose at this point to reside elsewhere.

Ceece said...

couldn't find your email address so I'll post here!

Look forward to seeing you around the blogosphere!

Jeff Gillenwater said...

If government should be as small, efficient, and inexpensive as possible, it would seem to make sense that it limit its geographic service area, making best and full use of preexisting infrastructure before investing in new.

Concentrating on doing so and creating policies that encourage others to do the same would be the epitome of fiscal conservatism.

Oddly, those that self-identify as fiscal conservatives often encourage government to do the exact opposite.

Anonymous said...

I don't adore our downtown but I do admire the architecture.

I think if New Albany was serious about revitalizing downtown New Albany then they would hold events in town to lure people down there. Other than the annual Harvest Homecoming...when was the last time you've seen advertisements for big music or art street festivals being held downtown. I'm sure there are other fun and unique family events that could be held down there with some thought and research. You want businesses down there then you first have to make the people aware that it's still vital.

They gussy-up a few buildings, plant some trees, fix the sidewalks/streets (sore subject with me!), have the mayor cut a few ribbons then wipe their hands and say here it is come 'n get it. When we don't come they scratch their heads, whine 'n wonder why.

Currently Downtown New Albany is not the place to be.

Whatcha gonna do about it!?

The New Albanian said...

"Oddly, those that self-identify as fiscal conservatives often encourage government to do the exact opposite."

Just as oddly, people like Mr. Short usually cease taking part in the conversation when you mention oddities like this.